Updated: Aug 17, 2022
The branch of dentistry that deals with children is called pediatric dentistry or pedodontics. Pedodontists are specially qualified doctors that deal with children. In the first few years of life, children have primary teeth which start exfoliating in six years.
Children are not like adults. They are not always cautious and cooperative during a dental visit. In their training pediatric dentist utilize different techniques like tell , show and do.Furthermore, pediatric dentists use specifically made tools in dental offices that are designed to keep the children's interests in mind.
A pediatric dentist provides a variety of treatment options along with expertise and training in caring for your infant, toddler, and children's teeth, gums, and mouth hygiene. When your pediatrician recommends a dental exam for your child, you can be confident that a pediatric dentist will provide the highest quality of dental care.
Most children do not maintain their oral hygiene which makes them prone to tooth decay. Children suffering from asthma are 5 times more prone to early childhood caries. According to a result of one of the research, 20% of children aged between 9 to 11 might have at least one untreated carious tooth.
What kind of training do pediatric dentists have?
Many parents search for kids dentists near Delhi and want to know about the training of pedodontists.
Pediatric dentistry complete four years BDS, one-year training. After that, they do a residency in pediatric dentistry for three years where they make a treatment plan for children, infants, and children with special needs.
Treatment procedures pediatric dentists provide
Pedodontists can do the following dental procedures comprehensively.
· Examination of infants or toddlers for risk assessment of early childhood caries
· Parent counseling and diet recommendations for toddlers
· They can do habit-breaking counseling and might habit breakage devices. Thumb sucking andtongue thrusting can affect the alignment of teeth which is why it is necessary to counsel parents about the adverse effect of these habits.
· Early assessment of malaligned teeth. A pediatric dentist can recommend a functional device to stop or enhance jaw growth.
· Treatment of early childhood caries and extraction
· Proper diagnosis of oral complications of diseases like Pierre robin syndrome, down syndrome, diabetes, asthma, and Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
· Management of dental traumatic injuries in children like avulsion, enamel fracture.
How can you deal with children as a general dentist?
Kid dentistry is a separate field. You need to follow these when treating kids.
· The conversation with the parents needs to get off to a good start, and it needs to address their worries about the dental treatment.
· It must be made clear to the parents that the dentist is planning the course of treatment and behavior modification with their understanding and cooperation.
· The first dental appointment gives the kid an impression of the dentist, the dental staff, and the "location." The initial visit to the dentist requires the child to stay there for 20 to 45 minutes.
The children have the mindset that going to the doctor only results in punishment, and suffering can be eliminated by the dental staff's demeanor, the clinic's child-friendly environment, and the gifts and compliments provided to the youngster! It can be difficult to explain dentistry to a young child. When choosing dental terminology, the dentist must be creative, clever, and even spontaneous to nullify the dental fear of the kid